Barcelona, is located on the shores of the Mediterranean, about 120 km south of the Pyrenees. It is Spain’s second largest city behind Madrid, and is one of Europe’s most cosmopolitan centers.
Barcelona’s airport, Barcelona El Prat, is just 15 minutes from the city center.
The city has 1.6 million inhabitants, with about 30 million tourists visiting annually, making it the fourth most visited city in Europe.The climate is Mediterranean, with relatively humid summers and mild and dry winters. January is the coldest month with temperatures typically ranging from 12 to 18 °C (54 to 64 °F) during the day and from 6 to 12 °C (43 to 54 °F) at night. August is the warmest month with typical day time temperatures of between 28 to 32 °C (82 to 90 °F) and from 20 to 24 °C (68 to 75 °F) at night.
Must sees in Barcelona
Some of the most beautiful and and most visited sights in Barcelona include:
- Sagrada Familia: enormous Roman Catholic Church designed by architect Antoni Gaudi
- Picasso Muesumm: home to one of the world’s most extensive collections of art by the Spanish painter Pablo Picasso
- Casa Batllo: showplace for Gaudi’s whimsical and original designs
- Port Vell: waterfront tourism complex that opened just before the 1992 Olympics
- La Pedrera (Casa Mila): reflects the vision and structural uniqueness of Gaudi
- Park Güell: public park since 1922
- La Rambla: series of short streets in downtown Barcelona
- FC Barcelona Museum: a museum for sports lovers
- The magic fountain (Font magica de Montjuic): a large illuminated fountain located on Montjuïc hill
- Parc de la Ciutadella: an idyllic park near the centre of Barcelona